4812 Orebank Rd
Kingsport, TN 37664
On Sunday, June 25, 2017, the Exchange Place living history farm will officially open the Burow Museum, with the Commissioning Ceremony scheduled to begin at 2:00 pm.
Back in the late 1790s, Revolutionary War veteran Ambrose Gaines built a log cabin on his property (along present-day Stone Drive), and subsequently built a second cabin close by. They were later incorporated side by side into a larger house with added bedrooms, dining room and kitchen. Henceforth, it was known as the Gaines-Anderson House. In 1950, it was moved farther back on the property to make way for the construction of Stone Drive.
Ownership continued to pass down among family descendants until the 1980s, when Katherine Anderson Boyd inherited the property and eventually deeded it to the Bancroft Gospel Ministries. It served as living quarters for the Bancroft Bible Camp staff for decades until it was decided to demolish the house and sell the property.
Because of their connection with the John Gaines family, the cabins were offered to Exchange Place, and the gift was gratefully accepted. Mike Faust, an expert in historic restoration, was tapped to move the logs and construct the long-awaited museum with funds accumulated primarily through the tireless efforts of volunteers Suzanne Burow and her late husband, Richard. Fittingly, it now bears their name.
The Burow Museum will add to the ability of the historic site to tell the story of Exchange Place and the life of settlers prior to the Civil War.
The event, open to the public, will include live music provided by the exciting young local group, Tennessee Border, and free refreshments provided through the generosity of the Kingsport Convention and Visitors Bureau. Following the 2:00 pm festivities, the farmstead will be open for tours until 4:30 pm.